Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lunch for the Week

Music: Handel: Water Music

Every Sunday, I prepare food to take to work for lunches during the week. Yes, it can sometimes be tedious and feel like a chore but it also saves us a lot of money and ensures that we are eating well.

Today I baked extra firm tofu* seasoned with toasted sesame oil, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, and a delicious all-purpose spice blend:



**1 package of extra firm tofu, sliced and patted dry in a dish towel to absorb water
1/2-1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2-3 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (you could also use soy sauce or tamari instead)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the sesame oil on a large baking sheet and, using a spatula, spread evenly over entire sheet.

2. Lay tofu slices on baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.

3. Pour Bragg's over tofu slices. Flip the pieces of tofu so they are all evenly coated with both oil and Bragg's. Sprinkle all-purpose spice blend on each piece of tofu.

4. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over slices. Bake for another 12 minutes. Let cool before putting in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Use prepared tofu to make sandwiches or put into wraps--I use 2 slices-- with avocado or tomato, lettuce, and Veganaise.

I also cooked a grain for the week; today it was barley. During the week, I then combine the barley with a variety of chopped vegetables (carrot, cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, celery, olives, radishes, onions, whatever else I might have on hand), and some sort of dressing--usually a slice of lemon & sea salt or toasted sesame oil & sea salt--for a salad to enjoy along with my sandwich.



I also take an apple or two and sometimes one of Jim's delicious scones. I love that he barely puts any sugar in these now. They are perfect with my nettle tea & a good book.


*recipe from The Garden of Vegan
**I like Trader Joe's Organic Extra-Firm Tofu best as it holds up well to baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment