Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, April 15, 2013

I Don't Miss Cheese

How I used to love my dairy! Ever since childhood, I drank a glass of milk daily and put cheese on almost everything. I loved gooey, buttery grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese.

But when I decided to go vegan in 2007, I never really thought about cheese. I automatically bought "transition" foods including vegan cheese, which is made with either soy or other non-dairy milks. But they weren't very good tasting (in my opinion) and were just as sticky and hard to wash off my plates as dairy cheese. I actually wondered what that sticky mess was doing to the INSIDE of my body if it was so hard to wash off a plate or pan!

Then Daiya vegan cheese came along and I tried it. Again, I wasn't impressed although many vegans love it.

Fact is, I just don't miss cheese. At all. It's not even on my radar. But many people have told me that this is the number ONE reason they can never become vegan. I have since learned that it's because cheese is addicting.

I don't recall craving or missing it when I became vegan. Perhaps I ate the vegan cheese and that satisfied whatever craving I had?

We make pizza without cheese but I no longer even make a vegan macaroni and cheese because I  don't really want to eat cooked pasta, preferring more raw foods and sprouted grains instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment