Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Oats

I cringe today remembering what I used to eat for breakfast before I became vegan. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day but it wasn't pretty:

Toasted Italian bread with butter and hot chocolate. Mind you, this bread was really, really white, and the hot chocolate was Quik with whole milk. Plus I ate way more than just two pieces!

Boxed cereal with skim milk. This was very expensive and I was hungry again in less than 2 hours.

Hostess Frosted Chocolate Donuts with a glass of milk. An entire box of minis or two to three regular-sized.  Yikes!

Kellogg's Pop Tarts with a glass of milk. No explanation needed.

Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, made with eggs, and milk, with the faux maple syrup and butter. I think I needed at least 8-10 pancakes to feel full.

Kellogg's Eggo Frozen Waffles. I ate two but they didn't fill me up enough.

Now what do I eat? It's always whole rolled oats in some form: muesli, granola, raw soaked oat groats, or oatmeal. Oats keep me feeling full until I drink my daily green smoothie, about 4 hours after breakfast. They are also an amazing source of soluble fiber which keeps you feeling fuller longer. Depending on the season, I'll add fresh berries in summer and sliced apples in the fall and winter. And always a tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal.

Homemade granola*

Jim makes our granola about every 10 days while I make the muesli once a week. With Jim's homemade almond milk, it's delicious AND filling.

Homemade muesli (aka practically raw cereal)

We even make the granola into breakfast wraps with banana, coconut milk yogurt, & peanut butter on millet flax tortillas.

Jim's Granola
5 c whole rolled oats
1 C any nut (pecan, walnut, hazelnut) chopped
1/2 C raw sunflower seeds
1/4 C cacao nibs
1/4 C any other seed (sesame, hemp, pumpkin, etc.)
1/2 C dates packed tightly (obviously, remove pits)
1/2 C warm water
1/3 C brown rice syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Pinch of sea salt

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In high speed blender, combine dates, water, & brown rice syrup & blend until smooth. Pour liquid over dry mix and stir to combine. Spread on lightly oiled baking sheets and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, then bake for another 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Watch carefully to prevent burning.

*Jim loves to try new recipes. This one pictured is the Cacao Nib Coconut granola from the blog, Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, how did you settle on green smoothies versus green juices made in a juicer? Also, what model is your blender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shawn! Happy to answer your questions. I love my Vita Mix blender! My brother-in-law is a chef & got us a discount last fall. I wanted the fiber that remains in the green smoothies (whereas in a juicer that is all taken out). I don't own a jucier. Green smoothies fill me up quite nicely and there's less food waste (peels, stems, etc.). I drink about 3-4 cups per day. I take it to work in a large thermos & drink it between 9:30-11am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! Take good care~

      Delete