Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Catching Up on Eleventh Stack

My sincerest apologies as it has been several months since I posted my regular blog posts for Eleventh Stack, the award-winning Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's blog. You can read them at the links below. Catch up now and enjoy!

Julia Erickson with the corps de ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (Photo by Rick Sofranko)
 At the Ballet In 1973, when I was four years old, my mother enrolled me in ballet classes at Pamela’s School of Dance in Dearborn, Michigan. Little did I imagine that I would continue to study ballet for the next eleven years with classes twice a week, annual recitals, countless rehearsals, and membership in the local ballet company.


A Woman's Prerogative Ever since childhood, I’ve disliked change. Probably because I fear it.  So I cling toroutines. I’m slow to win over and I’m reluctant to try new things, until I either first research a topic to death or circumstances force the issue. Then I’m at peacewith it. This is most likely why I’m child-free and why only a job loss could prompt me to leave my beloved home state two years ago.

BooI’m not a Halloween fan in the least–come to think of it, I’m not a holiday fan at all. But since it’s nearing All Hallows Eve, I thought this post might create the appropriate atmosphere for the cold and dark season ahead.

 Living Even More Lightly on the Earth I’m at it yet again! Seeking more and even better ways of reducing my carbon footprint on this precious earth. I wrote about this last year, but I wanted to tell you about some improvements I’ve made since then.



Claude Debussy Sesquicentennial In 199o, I saw the controversial NC-17 rated film Henry & June; in fact, I watched at least a dozen people walk out of my theater. While the movie was definitely provocative, it was the gorgeous soundtrack that sang to me.

The Gilded Age When I was a teenager, I saw the movie Ragtime  and I was fascinated by the depiction of the history of turn-of-the-century America, the elegant and stylish clothes, and the music.

Literary Lives: Real and Imagined I once heard the children’s non-fiction author Seymour Simon say that library books shouldn’t be labeled ‘fiction’ and ‘nonfiction’ but, rather, ‘true’ and ‘untrue.’* Indeed, many people get the labels mixed up thinking the ‘non’ in fiction means it’s untrue; well, some of it is!

 Why I Don't (and Won't) Own a TV When people visit my home, the first thing they notice is that there is no television in the living room. Usually it’s a laid back “so where’s your television?” but more often than not it’s an incredulous exclamation, “you don’t have a television?!”
Raw I’ve been vegan for almost five years but I still continue to look for ways to improve my health even more. During this time, I’ve removed all processed sugarand most processed foods from my life, stopped drinking my usual espresso in the morning and tea in the afternoon and, during the last month, have been eating more raw food every day.

Family Affair Ah, family. They say you don’t get to choose your family, only your friends. But through thick and thin,  I know mine will always be there for me. There’s plenty of fiction out there about the joys and sorrows of family but have you tried non-fiction?* 




No comments:

Post a Comment