Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, November 19, 2012

New Hot Chocolate






Once in awhile, I indulge in a cup of hot chocolate. And Jim makes me the perfect cup. 

We no longer use traditional cocoa--many years ago, in our pre-vegan days, we used Nesquik, then we bought a Dutch processed cocoa from Penzey's in the Strip District here in Pittsburgh, now we just buy raw cacao powder. Considered a superfood, it's part of my journey to eat less processed foods and more whole foods.

And, as I said in a previous post, we also now make our own raw almond "milk." I find I can really taste the chocolate now, especially since I have also weaned myself away from sweets.

8 oz nut milk
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp sweetener (I use stevia or coconut sugar)

We steam it in our cappuccino maker but you can heat in a small saucepan on the stove. Makes two small servings or one large serving. 

Note: if you love sweets and eat them often, this may not be sweet enough for you, so feel free to add more sweetener.




No comments:

Post a Comment