Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Brazilian Black Bean Stew

Music: Led Zeppelin on shuffle in iTunes


We are members of Pittsburgh's East End Food Co-op in Point Breeze, a wonderful store for the best produce in any market we've ever seen (except, of course, farmers' markets in summertime). In their newsletters and flyers, they often feature tasty recipes. Here is one I adapted today,  perfect on a chilly, misty kind of spring day.






Brazilian Black Bean Stew


1 tbsp oil (I used olive)
1 C onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I chopped)
2 tbsp pickled jalapeno peppers, minced (I didn't have so omitted)
1 tsp chili powder
2 15-oz cans black beans in liquid (I cooked my own from scratch and saved some of that liquid)
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted if available)--I used Pomi brand (which is NOT fire roasted)
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 large bay leaf (again, I omitted since I didn't have)
4 links (12-16 oz) vegan "sausage", chipotle flavored


In large stock pot, heat oil and add onion. Cook until transparent. Add garlic, jalapeno peppers (if using), and chili powder. Cook a few minutes more. Add tomatoes, beans, liquid smoke, bay leaf (if using); bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Gently mash the beans as they cook to thicken the stew.


Slice "sausage"into bite-sized chunks and lightly brown in a skillet with 1tsp oil. Add the cooked "sausage" to the stew just before serving.


We enjoyed it with some raw kale, tomatoes, pea sprouts, and onions.







2 comments:

  1. Tried this last night for dinner. I used green chilies instead of jalapenos since my kids prefer things not so spicy. It was great! Everyone liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, too! It's easy, isn't it? And good for you, too.

      Delete