Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weekend Cooking

Music: Trio Mediaeval, Stella Maris

Moroccan Couscous and Bok Choy& Carrot Salad with Tofu


Because of my work schedule, I sometimes work on Saturdays. But, instead of taking off the Friday before, I prefer to take the Monday following so that I always have two days off in a row. What this means, however, is that I end up working six days in a row; luckily, this only occurs about every other month, so I can't really complain.

When I have time like this, Jim is often able to take the same day off as I am because his schedule is more flexible than mine (unlike me, he isn't on a public service desk).

During the last two days, I tried out two new recipes that were as easy as they were delicious. The picture above has a link to one recipe (from Alicia Silverstone) but the salad is one I adapted from Nava Atlas' Vegan Express.

Salad
2-4 small bunches of bok choy
2 carrots
2 scallions, green parts only

Ginger/Sesame Dressing (for this salad, I halved all the amounts & still had leftover dressing for later in the week) 
Combine all of the following ingredients in a jar:

1/3 C olive oil
2 tbsp dark sesame oil
1/3 C rice vinegar or white wine vinegar (I used rice)
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Take 2-4 small bunches of bok choy (aka Chinese cabbage) and wash well. Cut off the hard end pieces, then chop on the diagonal into strips. Using a mandoline (or a knife if you can manage it), slice carrots thinly. Thinly slice green parts of the scallions. Toss all together with as much dressing as you like. Refrigerate any leftover dressing for later use during the week.

To this salad, I added some fried tofu cut into cubes for some extra bulk and protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment