Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ice Cream!

Music: The Mamas and the Papas, Deliver

Whenever people ask me if I ever "crave" dairy (or meat), I can honestly tell them, "no, never." Especially when I can enjoy this:















This is made from leftovers from breakfast, one of Jim's fabulous delicious Saturday Pan Scones* (i.e., pancakes, our usual Saturday morning fare), with fresh strawberries, and a scoop of Jim's homemade vanilla ice cream.

Vanilla Ice Cream
In a blender, combine:
1 package sweetened MimicCreme (32 oz.)
2-3 tsp pure vanilla extract

Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Sooo easy! Sooo good! And, best of all, no icky eggs to bring to a certain temperature to "kill" the bacteria (such as salmonella) lurking in your food! What could be better?

Besides the usual soy ice creams, there is also coconut milk ice cream (which I think tastes better). But even better than that, since you control all the ingredients, is homemade ice cream.

And we found some vegan organic ice cream cones at the East End Food Co-op to enjoy with our chocolate ice cream. Who needs dairy? Not me!
















Also, check out this great story about a woman who creates dairy-free delights: Like No Udder (love that name!).

*This is what I call them because they resemble a cross between a pancake and a scone in taste and texture, but the recipe can be found in LuAnn Bermeo's Amazing Meals.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention of Amazing Meals, Maria. I'm glad to know you're still using and enjoying the books! Jim's breakfast dish looks SO scrumptious! I've put a link to your blog on my Amazing Meals Fan Club page. Hopefully, others will come here and be inspired! :) Blessings, LuAnn

    ReplyDelete