Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Brownies!

Music: The Byrds, Younger Than Yesterday
















I don't make desserts much anymore since it's just the two of us. Instead, for a little sweet something I'll make a batch of scones or muffins and freeze most of them to enjoy later. Since our taste buds have changed so much since going vegan, the recipes I make use very little sweetener. Instead, I really enjoy the taste of the different types of flours I now use (barley, rye, oat, etc.).

For certain occasions, however, I still like to make something special. We enjoyed dinner recently at some new friends' beautiful house and I made these decadent brownies. I made this recipe because I've made it successfully before but I plan to try another, more healthy (read: less sugar) recipe in future (I just have to test it out first!). The amount of sugar in this particular recipe makes me cringe and yet, it's still better for you because there are no eggs or dairy. So here it is in all its fudgy goodness.

Brownies and Cookes Espresso Brownies (from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer)

1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (you could also just use unbleached flour)
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 C (gasp!) unrefined sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 C nondairy milk (soy, almond, rice, etc.)
1 shot espresso, cooled
1/3 C canola oil
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/4 C vegan chocolate chips (Trader Joe's sells some)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. Add the "milk," espresso, oil, walnuts, and chocolate chips, stirring until just mixed. Pour into baking pan and bake 55-60 minutes until center is set & an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool. Frost or enjoy as is.

2 comments:

  1. *delurking*

    Ahem. Kindly bring these in at some point. ;)

    Leigh Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about this... :)

    ReplyDelete