Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tofu Rancheros

Music: Todd Rundgren on shuffle on my iPod
















Last summer, while living with my parents, my mom tried tofu for the first time. She used to be a big cook so she is always curious about kitchen techniques and new recipes and, since she's not used to cooking vegan, she was usually poking around the kitchen while Jim and I were whipping up our meals.

So when she tried it I asked her what she thought. She said, "tastes and looks like eggs." That's why firm tofu is perfect for making these tofu rancheros. I looked at several recipes in my cookbooks, and came up with this on my own based on what I had in the fridge. Rolled up in Jim's homemade tortillas, they were delicious with some sauteed zucchini.

1/2 lb. (or 1/2 the package) of a 14-16-oz package of firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled (after drying it well, I just smash it with a fork in a mixing bowl until it's crumbly)
1/2 C salsa (or enough to make the mixture moist)
chopped veggies of your choice (I used onions, green pepper, jalapeno)
1/2 tbsp oil (just enough to lightly coat the pan)

In a nonstick fry pan, saute all veggies in the oil on medium heat until onions are translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Add tofu and salsa and cook until lightly browned, about 3-5 more minutes. Add more salsa so it doesn't dry out. Serve hot.

Alternatively, I used the other 1/2 of the tofu package with some soy chorizo (instead of salsa) and veggies a few days later. Just as good and very spicy.



No comments:

Post a Comment