Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dill Dip

Music: Joni Mitchell, The Hissing of Summer Lawns

One of my favorite dips has always been creamy dill dip. Next to onion dip that is. When I used to work at the St. Clair Shores Public Library in St. Clair Shores, Michigan, there was an amazing little library cafe (called The Galley Cafe in keeping with its lakeside location) that served up not only coffee but also homemade soups, salads, and sandwiches. And not just any old cafe stuff either but very unique and one-of-a-kind meals on a menu that changed weekly. It was the first time I saw dill dip used as a sandwich spread (in lieu of mayonnaise or mustard) and I quickly adopted the idea in my own kitchen. I used to buy it weekly in the summertime from the local grocery store's deli section. Then I became vegan and thought I couldn't have it anymore. Until now.















Yay!

1/2 C vegan sour cream (such as Tofutti brand)
1/2 C Vegenaise
2 1/4 tbsp fresh dill (or 3/4 tbsp dried)
3/4 tbsp fresh parsley (or 1/4 tbsp dried)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 tbsp minced onion (I used green onions)

Stir all together in a bowl until well blended; let chill to enhance flavors. Enjoy as a dip with your favorite raw vegetables or use as a sandwich spread with crisp sliced radishes, cucumbers, sweet onions, avocado, greens, thick slices of tomatoes...whatever suits your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment