Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, December 6, 2010

Vegan Sampler IV


I just read a great quote that I cannot verify. I read it in Dreena Burton's cookbook, Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. In her introduction, she quotes a blog by the name of Urban Vegan:

"When people learn I am vegan and ask, 'What do you eat?' I am actually at the point where I feel sorry for them."

It's true. Non-vegans are under a great misconception that they eat a varied diet if they eat meat, eggs, & dairy and that vegans do not. (I am sure there are vegans out there, however, that only eat processed foods & other vegan junk). In reality, non-vegans are building their meals around one of those three things. My diet pre-vegan consisted of white rice, pasta & tomato sauce, roasted chicken, baked potatoes, a salad here and there, corn on the cob, eggs, cheese, and white bread. Not to mention the occasional processed food of frozen pizza and frozen macaroni and cheese. Desserts were daily selections of Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Hostess chocolate covered donuts, and entire candy bars. Fruit? Maybe some apples, a banana, plums in the summer and the occasional strawberries & other mixed fruits at conferences and meetings.

Now I eat so much variety and there's still so much more out there to try. Every day is an exciting eating adventure.

For Thanksgiving, I made this delicious crisp and, with some Silken tofu, I was able to make both a creamy dill dressing for this coleslaw as well as this chocolate pudding/mousse.
















Apple and Cranberry Crisp from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer

Filling:
1 1/2 C frozen cranberries
2 medium organic green apples (I like Granny Smith), cored & diced
1/4 C sugar (turbinado or evaporated cane juice)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp flour

Topping:
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 C rolled oats
3 tbsp vegan margarine at room temperature (Earth Balance makes one)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a glass pie plate (or square 8-inch baking dish). In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for filling and mix well. Spoon into baking dish. In the same bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping and blend well. Spoon this mixture evenly over the filling in the baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

















Chocolate Pudding from How it all Vegan by Sarah Kramer
1 C soft (or silken) tofu
1/4 C oil
1/2 C sweetener
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine all in a food processor & blend until smooth and creamy. Chill before serving. That's it! Unlike with nasty packaged puddings, there's no need to heat it first and it doesn't have that nasty gelatin-jelly consistency that I never could stand with pudding. Ugh! This is just pure chocolatey goodness. I completely fooled my parents with this.


















Coleslaw with Creamy Dill Dressing from Short-cut Vegan by Lorna Sass

1/2 C silken tofu ("lite" is okay)
1 small bunch of dill, tough stems removed
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
6-7 C shredded green cabbage
1 C grated or finely chopped carrots (I used my food processor to pulse them into tiny bits)
1/4 C red onion (I used green onions, all parts)

In food processor or blender, combine tofu, dill, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, & sea salt until well blended. Place the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and add the dressing. Toss well.

No comments:

Post a Comment