Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, December 20, 2010

Tofu Teriyaki

Music: Tony Bennett, Snowfall

Today's smoothie: baby spinach, frozen strawberries and blueberries, banana

This recipe was so easy and so very tasty that I just had to share it. The teriyaki sauce is homemade so it's very fresh (and delicious). You will never miss the meat in this. The original recipe called for broccoli, but I had some rabe (aka baby broccoli, one of my newest passions) and it was truly an "oh, my god!" moment. Food orgasm.



































Make sure all ingredients are ready to go as this is a constantly-adding-t0-the-pan kind of dish.

Tofu marinade
1 pkg. (12-14 oz) firm tofu, cubed
1 tbsp tamari
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar or red wine vinegar (I used red wine)

Teriyaki sauce
1/3 C tamari
1/4 C water
3 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp blackstrap molasses
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh grated ginger (I used 1/2 tsp ground)
1 tbsp arrowroot powder (you could probably use cornstarch if you don't have arrowroot--it's just to thicken the sauce)

Stir-fry
1-2 tbsp canola or olive oil
4-5 C broccoli florets (I used a bunch of broccoli rabe instead)
1-2 pinches sea salt
1-2 tsp water
1 large bell pepper (any color)
1/2 C raw cashews (I used roasted/salted because it's all I had)
1/2 green onions, sliced thin

In a shallow dish, combine tofu, tamari & vinegar and let sit for at least 10 minutes or longer.

In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients for teriyaki sauce until arrowroot is dissolved.

In a large saute or fry pan, add 1/2-1 tbsp oil. Add tofu and saute 4-5 minutes until browned lightly on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.

Lower heat and add another 1/2-1 tbsp oil to pain and add broccoli, salt, and water. Cook for 4-5 minutes until broccoli turns green. Add peppers and continue to saute another 1-2 minutes. Add teriyaki sauce and turn heat to high tossing all vegetables well. When it begins to boil, add tofu, cashews, and green onions and toss well to coat all with the sauce.

Serve over brown rice.

W-O-W!

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this since I read your post and I finally did. The tofu, veggies and sauce were scrumptious! I even licked the sauce off my plate, yum!
    Thank you for sharing the idea;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, isn't it so good?! Wow! That's what I said when I tasted it. Did you do it with the rabe or broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli. The sauce with the broccoli was delightful;)!

    ReplyDelete