Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Eat Your Greens: Bok Choy

Music: shuffled music on the iPod

Today's smoothie: frozen strawberries, beet greens, half o'banana, bit o'avocado















When I was growing up, I only recall my mother preparing cabbage when she made stuffed cabbage (which had both ground beef as well as rice in it). It looked like an arduous task with many steps. I didn't know there was any other cabbage except the large green basketball-size ones until I got to college.

My latest favorite way to enjoy it is with bok choy. The most common way I was using it was in stir fries but this easy and delicious recipe from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet wowed me & now this is the only way I want to eat bok choy (at least for right now!).

In either a steamer basket or a colander set over a saucepan with about an inch or two of gently simmering water, place rinsed bok choy and cover with a lid. Steam until the leaves begin to wilt and the stems are to your desired tenderness (I think I steam mine for 7-10 minutes). Drain and place on a plate. Drizzle a combination of equal parts light oil (olive, almond, flax, for example) and ume plum vinegar (you can find this in health food stores or probably even Whole Foods). Sprinkle a little sea salt & pepper on it if desired. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment