Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stewed Lentils with Soy Sausage

Music: The Weepies: Be My Thrill

I know that it's kind of hot to make a stew but I was just craving me some lentils. And this recipe is so fast, it doesn't even heat up the kitchen. This is from Nava Atlas' brilliant cookbook, Vegan Express. I LOVE this book. I have never made anything from it that I didn't love. If you are even contemplating going vegan, you must get this book.

















Stewed Lentils with Soy Sausage


2 tbsp olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

3-4 cloves garlic, minced

2 celery stalks, diced

One 14-oz package either Tofurky sausage or Field Roast grain sausage, sliced 1/4” thick

Two 15-oz cans lentils, drained lightly but not rinsed (I cooked 1 cup dried lentils in 6 cups water for 20-30 minutes until tender)

1 C diced tomatoes

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1/4 C minced fresh parsley

Sea salt & pepper to taste


Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic, celery, & sausage & saute until golden brown. Add lentils, tomatoes, & thyme. Bring to a simmer then cook on low heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat & stir in parsley, salt & pepper. Serve with grain of your choice. I used whole wheat couscous because it's super fast.

















The best thing about this dish? It makes lots so you can eat it for a few days!


No comments:

Post a Comment