Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Simple Farmers' Market Dinner


Last Saturday we visited the Strip District for the Farmers@Firehouse Farmers' Market. It wasn't as big as our former farmers' market, but we were able to get everything we needed.

We also met a very friendly and helpful proprietor named Jessica at a table set up with organic skin and beauty products. It was called Una Biologicals and I will be looking here for local organic lip balm (which I find, for whatever reason, hard to make on my own). Jessica also lots of suggestions for vegan and organic shopping around Pittsburgh.

For dinner that night, we made some simple red quinoa, roasted beets, fresh tomato slices, and steamed kale. It was just right for a hot day as I kind of lose my appetite on hot days.















Simple Basic Quinoa from Short-cut Vegan by Lorna Sass

1 2/3 C water
2 tsp instant stock powder (optional, but I use 1/2 cube of vegan bouillon)
1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
1 C quinoa your choice (red is pretty), rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

In a medium saucepan, bring water, stock powder, and salt to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and garlic. Cover, reduce to simmer for about 12-15 minutes, until tender but still a little crunchy. Fluff before serving.

I will use the leftover quinoa to toss into salads later.

1 comment: