Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, August 13, 2010

Quinoa and Red Bean Salad

Music: Smokey Robinson (sometimes with the Miracles) on shuffle on iTunes

No smoothies yet as I'm saving to buy a new blender! Jim wants to get a Vitamix but they're so expensive & I don't know if I can truly believe all the wonderful things people say about it. I am feeling some smoothie withdrawal symptoms, though, in slightly less energy and focus. Of course, that could also be due to this Michigan flatlander now living in a very hilly area.
















I made this new salad the other day from my favorite cookbook, Nava Atlas' Vegan Express. I adapted it because I didn't have all her ingredients (daikon radish or turnip, fresh peppers, for example) and I used a different dressing. It still came out tasty which is the most important thing!

3/4 C quinoa, rinsed in fine sieve
1 C grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on how large they are
1/2 C radishes, sliced or choppd
1 roasted red pepper, drained & chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 15-16 oz can red beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped fine
2-3 tbsp fresh dill, minced (I used 1 tsp dried)
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of one lemon
Sea salt & pepper to taste

Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 C water in saucepan and bring to boil. Lower to simmer and cover & let simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl to cool.

Combine rest of ingredients in the bowl once quinoa has cooled.

I enjoyed this salad with a tofu sandwich and some slices of lemon cucumber that we found a farmer selling in the Strip District! They're the exact same ones that Jim used to grow in his garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment