Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Italian Orzo Salad

Music: Silent Violet, Sounds of a Dirty City

















We're in the dog days of summer here in Pittsburgh with nary a raindrop in sight. In fact, since I arrived here on July 22, it has not rained except for a brief 20 minute shower. And it's hot and everything is wilting and turning brown. It's a great time for summer salads.

My new neighbor gave me an unopened bag of lemon basil orzo & that his wife couldn't eat; she's ill and cannot have citrus, I guess. I decided that this might make a good base for an Italian flavored pasta salad. So after cooking the orzo, in a large bowl I combined:

1 C grape tomatoes, chopped in half or in quarters if they were larger
1 large roasted red pepper, drained & chopped
1/2 C Spanish olives, chopped (I would have used black olives but I didn't have any)
1/2 12-oz. jar of marinated artichokes, drained & chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine
Juice of half a lemon (or more to taste)
1 1/2- 2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt & pepper to taste
A little garlic powder

When I served it, I added a little leftover soy chorizo but you could also use vegan bacon bits, such as Bacos. Easy as pie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I am giving away a $5 gift certificate to Better World Books at http://worldcentricliving.blogspot.com if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete