Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Picnics in the Parks

Music: birds twittering

Today's smoothie: beet greens, rice milk, mango

When the summer holidays hit, Jim and I stay home. We don't like the crowds that hit the highways and prefer to stick close to home. In fact, the one time we tried this around Labor Day weekend, the traffic was so horrible we said, "never again!" This doesn't mean we stay home inside the house. We take advantage of the beautiful parks right around here. This weekend we went to both Holly Recreation Area and the downtown Rochester Municipal Park.

We first stopped at Whole Foods and loaded up at their salad bar with amazingly fresh grain dishes and salad veggies, both roasted & raw. For$7.99 a pound, we filled those eco brown boxes full of delicious stuff!















My box held raw kale with shoyu and sesame oil, raw shredded beets & radishes, raw cucumbers, hearts of palm, tomato & asparagus salad, orange ginger noodles, quinoa with walnut, lemon juice, & roasted red peppers, & Spanish & black olives. Heavenly!
















In between eating & water gazing (not to mention enjoying the cool breezes off the water), I read both Tracy Chevalier's latest masterpiece, Remarkable Creatures and Kate Chopin's last short story collection, A Vocation and a Voice. Picture perfect weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Love the name of your blog... your smoothie sounds very good also. I will have to give it a try.

    I am having an APRON GIVEAWAY on my blog. I hope you come over and enter.
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/

    By the way, I just became your follower so I can keep up with what you are putting on this blog.

    ReplyDelete