Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mixing it Up

Music: The Weepies, Happiness

Today's smoothie: radish greens, frozen strawberries, banana, bit o'avocado

One of the best discoveries to make when you are vegan is the variety of different grains that exist out there in the big wide world. Like many people, I grew up eating only white rice, instant oatmeal, and semolina pasta. Now I experiment with all kinds of rice (and, by the way, Holiday Market in downtown Royal Oak has the largest variety I've seen around here) including brown, basmati, jasmine, wild, sweet brown, and rainbow just to name a few.

I've also switched to almost exclusively whole wheat pasta instead of just semolina (regular white) pasta. Incidentally, since going vegan, I don't eat nearly as much pasta as I used to, preferring to use a whole grain instead.

And, since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I now enjoy old-fashioned rolled oats, wheat flakes, barley flakes, rye flakes, amaranth, and millet.

I've made this Power Porridge recipe before, but this time I tried it with red quinoa and it came out just so pretty (and absolutely delicious) that I had to show you the picture.



1 comment:

  1. Nice! It's really amazing the variety of food available that's vegan. The power porridge looks good!

    ReplyDelete