Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Noodles with Green Beans

Music: AM580

Today's smoothie: carrot top greens, frozen strawberries, bit o'avocado, banana

I picked up some pretty green beans from Whole Foods the other day and consulted my favorite Vegan Express cookbook. This is Soba Noodles with Green Beans & Almonds except I didn't have soba noodles and I didn't have almonds. So I used regular organic whole wheat spaghetti noodles and just left out the almonds. It was fast and delicious, also the next day reheated as leftovers.

















1/3 cup sliced almonds

8 oz soba noodles

1 10-oz bag frozen whole baby green beans or French-cut green beans

2-3 tbsp hoisin sauce (I buy this at Whole Foods or Nutri-Foods)

1 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste

1 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (I use raw agave nectar from Nutri-Foods)

1 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar

2 scallions, thinly sliced (I used diced onion)

Freshly ground pepper


Toast the almonds in a dry skillet until golden, stirring often so they don't burn. Set aside and let cool.


Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the green beans. Bring to a boil until noodles are al dente then drain.


In a small bowl, combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, agave nectar, and vinegar and stir well.


Combine noodles/green beans and sauce in a serving dish, then add the onions and toss. Season with pepper to taste, toss again, then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment