Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Crowd Out the Meat

Music: WRCJ, 90.9FM

Today's smoothie: organic flat leaf parsley, fresh pineapple, frozen strawberries, banana, bit o'avocado
















Jim has a new idea or suggestion for those wishing to change their diet and reduce their meat consumption. Crowd out the meat. Make your meat portion smaller and fill your plate with side dishes of salads and grains. If there's more of these on your plate, there's less room for meat. In other words, don't make meat the center of your plate, turn it into a very small side. The more you reduce it, the less you eat and the less you eat of it, the less you will crave it. It's worth a try.

There's no way around it. Food has to become a big part of your life. Planning it, buying it, cooking it, and eating it. Every day. But once you've got some recipes under your belt, you branch out and it becomes easier. Your taste buds change, you no longer want the foods you used to swear you could never give up. It really opens up a whole new world.

I said the other day I cannot believe what a variety of foods I eat now. It's true. I notice even little things. How I no longer put any sprinkling of sugar on my grapefruit. How I reduce sugar in all my recipes that call for it. Because I cook so much, I know what I like and what proportions to use. It has become automatic.

Best of all, by not eating animal products, my digestive system has never run so smoothly. I used to get a stomachache at least once a week, if not several times a week. It has never happened since going vegan. If it were just that improvement, that would have been enough for me. But with all the other benefits, how could I ever want to go back?

No comments:

Post a Comment