Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, April 9, 2010

Consumme

Music: the sounds of silence*

Today's smoothie: curly parsley, frozen blackberries, frozen strawberries, bit o'avocado, banana

















Sometimes, when I'm not feeling well, I just want some spicy hot soup. I don't want a lot of chunks of vegetables or even grains, just something spicy and warm down my throat. My seasonal allergies have been bad this week and this quick and easy soup from The Urban Vegan just hit the spot today.

10-Minute Corn Consomme
6 C vegetable broth (I used 6 C water with 3 bouillon cubes)
2 1/2 C frozen corn
Generous pinch of either Spanish paprika or chili powder (paprika will give it a smoky flavor while the chili powder gives it hot spice)
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Bring all to a boil then simmer gently for 5 minutes. If desired, use an immersion blender to blend until desired consistency. I also added some scallions to this soup for even more flavor.

Served with fresh homemade bread, this felt so good to eat.

*Many people know I value silence very much and everyone's right to peace and quiet, but it certainly is hard when you live so close together in a neighborhood like I do. Just driving home today, in forty degree weather, I was struck by the sight of a three man lawn service (one on a riding mower, one raking, and a third blowing leaves) on a postage-stamp size lawn. They don't even give the lawn a chance to grow and send out its roots before they pulverize it with noise pollution and gas. When everyone and their brother each have a lawn service on a long block of houses, you've got noise pollution seven days a week all summer long (vs. once per week in an apartment or condominium complex). But you know what? It's only April 9th, way too soon for this kind of nonsense. I become angry that there is no respect for the environment or my neighbors' right to peace and quiet. Think about it, people, every time you want to turn on a loud, noxious machine that could well be done with a manual contraption.

No comments:

Post a Comment