Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Stress

Music: Gladys Knight and the Pips on shuffle on my iPod

Today's smoothie: beet greens, fresh pineapple, banana, avocado




















Everyone has some kind of stress in their life from time to time. It's my turn lately. My husband will be laid off from his job in June and I work at the Troy Public Library which will close in June 2011. Until it closes, there will be 39 people laid off as of July 2010 then another 69 July 2011 and a big reduction in operating hours. I don't yet know what group I will be in but it doesn't really matter. I will eventually lose a job that I love and, with less people around, my job will become more stressful if I'm one of the few left. I don't yet know if I will even be in Michigan if Jim or I get a job somewhere else so everything is up in the air and I feel like my life is on hold.

So how I am dealing with all this? I really think being vegan is helping for the major reason that my health is great despite all the stress! I still sleep through the night, don't have indigestion, and my face is clear.

In addition to my lifestyle, I am knitting and crocheting up a storm. I'm working on a knitted tank top right now and hope to begin a crochet sweater soon as well as a crochet coverlet for my bed.

I also read voraciously. I'm often reading two or three books at the same time: one I keep at work to read on my breaks, one in the dining room for when I eat alone, and one on my nightstand to read before I turn off the lights.

I'm still seeing friends but inviting them over to my house for a cuppa instead of eating out. And of course, I'm always cooking something.

I play my flute and am very glad that I joined a concert band; the happy tunes we're playing really take my mind off my troubles.

And then there's this blog which keeps me writing almost every day. Even if I don't post, I'm usually working on a post to post later. I really enjoy it.

I'm still doing my daily yoga before breakfast but am now able to incorporate a 30 minute walk outside as well. Sunshine would help but it's being fickle right now. I am really looking forward to hiking in the woods soon at Holly Recreation Area or Seven Lakes Recreation Area. While I love Kensington Metro Park's nature trails, there is a shooting range across the freeway at Island Lake Recreation Area and who wants to hear shooting while you're meandering the trails? Not me.

How about you? What are your stress relievers?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your employment trouble on the horizon. I try to remain thankful for my job, even though I am not too fond of it. But I know that I'm lucky to have financial security. I remember well what it's like searching for a new job, and I will be keeping you and Jim in my thoughts.

    I think you probably know my stress relievers from reading my blog. Without at least several hours in the woods each week, I would truly lose my mind. Riding my bike to work helps a lot, too...it is often the highlight of my day, especially when the weather is nice. Eating well helps, too, I think. It seems that you're probably doing all that you can to handle stress right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much like what you said, reading and spending time with the people I care about are the most helpful ways I cope with the world. I've been doing more personal writing and less blogging with all the bad news lately, but you're inspiring me to get back to the blog. Structure is always a good thing for me when life is getting me down!

    ReplyDelete