Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Power Porridge

Music: Sentimental Journey: Great Ladies of Song, Vol. 2


Today's smoothie: fresh pineapple, kale, frozen fruit blend, banana, bit o'avocado

















I found this interesting cookbook at the Grosse Pointe Public Library called Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. Ever since I visited (& fell in love with) Charleston, South Carolina a few years ago, I've wanted to try some of the foods I enjoyed "veganized" (such as fried green tomatoes, corn & grits, hoppin' john, etc.).

But I came across a recipe for this breakfast grain dish. Terry calls it Power Porridge because the two grains it's made with, amaranth and quinoa, are considered powerhouse grains packed with both protein and fiber. 1/4 cup raw quinoa has 3 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein while 1/4 cup raw amaranth gives 7.5 grams of fiber and 7.1 grams of protein!* They also contain more calcium than milk! ** Sure debunks the myth of "so where do you get your protein?" or "how do you get enough calcium?" I love whole grain cereals and this recipe looked so good I just had to try it.

While I love quinoa, it just doesn't taste right for breakfast to me. It tastes too much like it should be part of a savory meal, which its nutty flavor complements. But I often love eating breakfast food for dinner when I'm just not into cooking fancy or even feeling that hungry.

So this is perfect for a nice, comfy, cozy meal at home, alone or with a loved one. The recipe said it served 4-6 so I halved it, & these are the exact measurements that I used to make 2 servings.

1/4 C water
1/4 C amaranth
1/4 C quinoa, rinsed in a sieve
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp coconut oil
1 C soymilk (or rice milk, or hazelnut milk, or any non-dairy milk)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 C banana chips
2 tbsp raisins
1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal

In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, combine water, milk, cinnamon stick, quinoa, amaranth, salt, & coconut oil. Bring to a boil then quickly reduce heat to low. Cover & simmer for 20 minutes.

Add banana chips, raisins, flaxseed, and agave nectar and stir to combine. Add more milk to desired creaminess.

Remove from heat & let stand for 5 minutes.

*Prevention Magazine's Nutrition Advisor, c1992
**Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry, c2009

No comments:

Post a Comment