Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, March 19, 2010

Oak Street Tempeh Mango Chutney Salad

Music: Fuel on shuffle on my iPod

Today's smoothie: fresh pineapple, kale, banana, bit o'avocado
















I made this Oak Street Tempeh Mango Chutney Salad last Saturday. The recipe is a variation of Jill Ovnik's version which I learned on my vegan retreat weekend. I've made tempeh salads before with just Vegenaise and other veggies but I decided to finally buy some chutney. Oh, my goodness! Absolutely delicious! You must try this!

Here's the original recipe, but in parentheses are my measurements since I'm only cooking for two here:

4 8-oz. pkgs. tempeh, any variety (I used 1 8-oz Trader Joe's Three Grain Tempeh--I cut it up in cubes and steamed it for about 25 minutes first since this reduces possible bitterness which I do not taste but Jim does)
8 oz or 2 C dry roasted or raw slivered almonds (I used 1/2 C raw sliced almonds)
1 12-0z jar of Major Grey Mango Chutney (I used 1/4 C; you can find this at Whole Foods)
1 C Vegenaise (I used 1/4 C; you can buy Vegenaise at Nutri-Foods or Whole Foods in the refrigerated section)
2 stalks celery-4 C sliced (I used 2 celery hearts diced fine)
4 C red grapes (I omitted since they're not in season but would use 1 C sliced if I did)
2 tsp curry powder (I used 1/2 tsp)
2 Tbsp agave nectar (I used 1/2 Tbsp; you can buy at either Nutri-Foods or Whole Foods)

Blend chutney with Vegenaise in a blender if chutney is too chunky. I personally didn't feel like doing this so just mixed everything up in large mixing bowl. Serve as a salad or in a sandwich.

Take a bite and enjoy your taste buds exploding in flavor! I once served tempeh in a salad to my meat-eating but open-minded friend, James, and he said, "If you hadn't told me this wasn't chicken, I never would have believed it." Yay!















I served it as a salad with a side salad of sesame noodles and Jim's bread.





No comments:

Post a Comment