Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, March 5, 2010

Hodgepodge

Music: The Eagles on shuffle on my iPod**

Today's smoothie: flat leaf Italian parsley, frozen fruit mix, 1 banana, bit o'avocado, frozen papaya

This is just a sampling of some delicious meals I've enjoyed this week.

This is just some steamed kale seasoned with flax oil, sea salt & pepper, Coconut Lime Rice (made with brown rice), and a variation on LuAnn Bermeo's Tempeh Pepper Steaks from Amazing Meals (luann6@msn.com) with onions.













Some of my absolute favorite biscuit-like pancakes from LuAnn's Amazing Meals, made with banana slices, and a side of Oat Sage patties.















A hummus sandwich served with greens on Jim's homemade bread and a side of roasted carrots. It's a slightly different hummus from Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan:














Roasted Red Pepper & Almond Hummus
1/2 C raw almonds
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 C cooked chick peas
1/2 C roasted red peppers (I used yellow), excess liquid drained
1 medium garlic clove, sliced
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2-4 tbsp water to thin dip as desired (I usually add the full 4 tbsp, 1 at a time)
1/4-1/3 C fresh chopped parsley

In a food processor, add almonds & pulse until very fine. Add vinegar, oil, chickpeas, peppers, garlic, mustard, salt, & pepper. Puree until smooth, gradually adding water as needed to your desired thinness. You might need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times. Once smooth, add parley, and lightly puree to incorporate.

**My first memory of the Eagles was hearing them played on LPs at my maternal grandparents' house in Delray (Detroit) by my generation-older cousins, Joe, Mike, Felipe, David, Bobby, & John; I was about seven or eight and they were in their late teens. It was through them that I heard a lot of 1970s classic rock, including Foreigner, ELO, and Styx.

No comments:

Post a Comment