Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Good Food Every Day

Music: Bee Gees, The Ultimate Bee Gees

Today's smoothie: spinach, frozen mixed fruit blend, frozen blueberries, bit o'avocado, banana

I'm still amazed at how varied my diet is. Jim and I were just talking about how we never ate this well early in our marriage. Every day is a new vegan adventure of great eating. We even get excited the night before about what we're going to eat the next day; how silly is that? I will say this. Being vegan is a lot easier and a lot more fun when you have someone to share it with.

Jim made some bulgur sausage-like patties yesterday using a recipe from LuAnn Bermeo's Amazing Meals (luann6@msn.org). We froze most of them but enjoyed them in some Food For Life Sesame buns with endive, raw onions, and Vegenaise. I also made a delicious side salad of Red Bean Slaw from Sarah Kramer's La Dolce Vegan. It made a nice crunchy accompaniment. So flavorful and very easy.

















Dressing:
3/4 C Vegenaise
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1 tbsp turbinado sugar
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Salad:
3 C cabbage, finely chopped or shredded
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large celery stalk, finely chopped (I used 3 celery hearts)
1 19-oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed (I used my own fresh/cooked/frozen, 2 C)
1/4 C imitation "bacon" bits (optional; I never have this so I don't use it)

Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients, add dressing, and toss well.














This is some sauteed red cabbage with onions, some dill pickle slices, and a Smoky Paprika Hummus spread on two toasted slices of homemade whole wheat bread with endive and parsley. The hummus recipe is from a new book Jim won using points earned at work, called The Urban Vegan by Dynise Balcavage.

It's a very different hummus in that it really has a smoky flavor to it. Another winner for my hummus repertoire:

1 can chickpeas, drained (I used 2 C of my own fresh/cooked/frozen)
4 tbsp olive oil
5 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 garlic cloves
Up to 1/3 C water, or amount needed to achieve desired thickness/thinness

In a food processor, mix all ingredients EXCEPT the water and blend until smooth. Add water as needed, 1 tbsp at a time through the tube until it's like you like it. Stop and scrape down the sides and add some sea salt if needed.
















Finally, a Tofu Salad that I've made before, from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. These salads remind me of summer; both are very cooling in their taste and texture.














1 comment:

  1. Hey, love your blog ... Yes! There's so much fun to be had making vegan foods! I do that too ... get all excited about what I'll be making the next day. It's totally win-win.

    ReplyDelete