Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, February 19, 2010

So What Do You Drink?

Music: AM580


Today's smoothie: dandelion greens, banana, bit o'avocado, frozen mixed fruit


I have never really liked the taste of alcohol. Maybe because I grew up in a house where alcohol was available--my parents liquor cabinet was always well-stocked, there was beer in the refrigerator for my father, and both parents often drank wine with dinner--I didn't want what I already had. Growing up, at special celebrations, my parents would allow my brother and I to enjoy a small glass of wine with them. So when the drinking parties began in junior high (yes, junior high), I was not invited. Mostly because I had a reputation as a nice, quiet, shy girl but also because they knew I most likely wasn't interested in getting drunk. And that was always the focus of those parties. Maybe I gave off a vibe?


I have never understood the concept of drinking for the sake of drinking and getting drunk, or to become more relaxed and, therefore, social. I find people who get drunk regularly to be boring and uninteresting. I much prefer stimulating conversation when both parties are sober. That to me is the most interesting conversation.


As an adult, I drank the occasional beer (mostly Mexican beers since that was what my parents bought) with dinner but never drank alcohol just on its own. Sometimes I would also have a glass of wine with a meal. The one and only time I felt I drank too much was one New Year's Eve with my then-boyfriend and father, and I did not like the feeling at all. It was an out of control feeling, almost like my body was disconnected from my mind. And it kind of scared me. So I made sure not to do that again.


A few years ago, I learned that a family member is an alcoholic. Suddenly, all alcohol felt distasteful to me. So that's another reason I choose not to drink.


Finally, most alcohol, unless you seek it out, is not vegan. It's made with an ingredient called isinglass, which is a gelatin made from the swim bladders of fish. It is used in the fining process (clarifying is the term I've seen used) of making jellies, glues, wine and other alcoholic beverages. It's even used in some cider. I don't know about you, but that's sounds kind of gross to me.


Otherwise, my drink of choice is a glass of water. In the morning with breakfast, I drink my double shot of espresso with warmed soy milk and in the afternoon, I enjoy Teeccino herbal coffee with more soy milk. In the summer, instead of carbonated pop, I like a mix of club soda with some Looza fruit nectar.


My idea of a great time with a friend is to meet for a cup of tea. My favorite kind of teas are fruity. That's my special time with good friends. It's good enough for me and I won't be offended if you invite me out for drinks, but I'll just have water or tea, please, and I hope you won't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment