Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, February 26, 2010

Getting More Greens into Your Day

Music: Mamas and the Papas on shuffle on my iPod

Today's smoothie: carrot greens, spinach, banana, chunks of fresh pineapple


















One of the many, many things I've noticed since going vegan over two years ago is how often I eat greens and, additionally, how much more of them I eat than I ever did as a meat-eater. I was so sure that I was eating a varied diet; I cannot believe how wrong I was.

It's very easy to get more greens into your day once you're doing it regularly. Of course, you need to buy them first. Then it becomes a habit.

For me, it's something like this. About an hour after breakfast, I make a 2 quart (4 cup) green smoothie of a different green every day in my blender. You only need one generous cup minimum but you can certainly add more. Then I add a cup of fruit, a banana, about 2 1/2 cups water, and a bit of avocado if I have it (like a tablespoon) to reduce the foam.

At lunch, if I'm not eating a salad of some sort with greens already, I will add greens and herbs to my sandwich. And I don't limit myself to just lettuce. I've used spinach, chard, beet greens, parsley, lemon balm, and cilantro to name but a few. And I pile it on; one measly leaf? Try three or four at least. Often the greens are as thick as the filling.

Sometimes I'll even throw in a handful of baby spinach or chard when I reheat soup, tossing it in just before I serve it.

I never did any of this when I was a meat eater, mistakenly believing a salad every few days was "good enough." Now I crave greens every day, all kinds of greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment