Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Energy Food

Music: Ben Lee, Awake is the New Sleep**

Today's smoothie: collard greens, fresh pineapple, bit o'avocado, banana, frozen tropical fruit blend

The other day I made a batch of yummy Energy Cookies from Dreena Burton's Vive Le Vegan! I froze all but about 8 of them to have in the little vintage cookie tin I keep on the kitchen counter. Sometimes I like to have a little sweet with my coffee, tea, or Teeccino. These cookies are very easy & filled with my favorite nuts and dried fruit.

1/2 C + 1 tbsp barley flour
1/4 C spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C raw sunflower seeds
1/4 C hemp seed nuts (I find these at Nutri-Foods)
1/4 C pumpkin seeds (I didn't have so I just used pecans)
1/4 C raisins or other dried fruit, chopped
3-4 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips or carob chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp flax meal
1/4 C pure maple syrup
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
1- 1 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp canola oil (I used vegetable oil)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients EXCEPT the flax meal, mixing well. In another smaller bowl, combine the flax meal, maple syrup, and milk. Add the molasses, vanilla, & oil and mix well. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir well. Drop spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet, flatten slightly, and bake for about 13-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about a minute before transferring to a cooling rack.















Here's a close-up! So good!
















I also made an quick and easy Pea Salad. Often when I eat at the Sprout House, I keep the lids of the plastic that the salad came in because it lists the ingredients. Then I can re-create it at home. Here's what's in their Pea Salad:


Peas, Veganaise, lemon juice (I didn't have so I substituted rice wine vinegar), sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, onion chopped fine, parsley, Dijon mustard. Quick, easy, and good for you!



















**I first heard of Ben Lee from teen writer Sarah Dessen's blog. Usually, I don't like her music suggestions but I found Ben Lee to be a happy-sounding singer; and sometimes you just need that.

1 comment:

  1. After eating less refined, more hardy sweets at Detroit's Avalon Bakery recently, I've been craving a good cookie this past week; this recipe looks great! I'd also like a helping of the pea salad, please. Hey Maria, this talent or yours to recreate recipes by a list of ingredients, can you pitch some of that my way?! What a great gift:)! Your sharing inspires me to be more confident in the possibilities of my own abilities-thanks;)!

    ReplyDelete