Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Double Chocolate Almond Explosion Cookies

Music: George Harrison, Best of George Harrison**

Today's smoothie: beet greens, 2 Clementines, 1 banana, bit o'avocado, 1/2 C frozen mango, 1/2 C frozen blueberries















If you haven't noticed by now, I always like to make something for special occasions, and Valentine's Day is no exception. I had to work that day so decided to make this new chocolate cookie recipe from Vive Le Vegan! by Dreena Burton. While I do like the recipes also from Babycakes by Erin McKenna, I sometimes cringe at the amounts of oil and sugar in her recipes. Burton's are just as delicious and actually a lot easier and quicker to make.

1 C unbleached flour (I used whole spelt & increased it by 1/4 C; I could also have used whole wheat pastry flour)

1/4 C cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

3 tbsp sliced almonds (toasted or not)

3 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips (Trader Joe's are non-dairy)

1/4 C unrefined sugar

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/3 C pure maple syrup (a little generous)

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

1/4 C canola oil (I used vegetable; be a little generous)

2-3 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips or chunks from a chocolate bar (for topping)

3 tbsp sliced almonds (again, for topping)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, & baking soda). Add the almonds, chocolate chips, sugar, & salt & stir until well combined. In a smaller separate bowl, combine maple syrup, vanilla & almond extracts, & oil and stir well. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir until just well mixed (do not overstir). Place large spoonfuls of batter onto baking sheet. Take 1 or 2 chocolate chips or chunks and a pinch or two of the almonds and gently press onto the top of each cookie, slightly flattening them. Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool on pans for 1 minute then transfer to a cooling rack.


This recipe made 26 cookies for me and they freeze really well, just make sure to double wrap them to protect against freezer burn.


Jim was very happy that he got whatever cookies wouldn't fit in the tin I took to the library.


**While I love the Beatles, George has always been my favorite. Some of my favorite Beatles songs were written by him and I think I liked his shyness as well. Who is your favorite Beatle?

1 comment:

  1. George was my favorite also, for the exact same reasons you mention. I even had a goldfish named George in his honor!

    ReplyDelete