Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Who Knew?

Music: Becoming Jane, soundtrack**

Today's smoothie: baby spinach, fresh pineapple, bit o'avocado, banana



















I've known for a long time now that onions, part of the allium family of plants, have wonderful antioxidants that help prevent many chronic diseases and cancers. And readers of this blog know that they are my all-time favorite vegetable, be they red, white or yellow onions, leeks, shallots, scallions, even chives. Raw or cooked equals absolute deliciousness in my humble opinion.


So I picked up another neat little tip from Jim the other day and my co-worker Donna will just love this one. (She loves onions, too--bad breath? too bad for you!).


From the latest issue of that kinda sorta weird magazine, Mary Jane's Farm, comes a handy dandy tip to keep those pesky winter germs away. During the 1918 flu epidemic, a doctor apparently visited a farm woman whose family managed to stay healthy. Her tip? Dishes of unpeeled onions in each room of her house. When this doctor observed these onions under a microscope, he found traces of the flu in the onions. Wow! Yet another reason to make friends with this strong-smelling but very tasty vegetable.


I'm going to put an onion in a bowl on my desk at work on Monday. Working with the public as I do, I'll try anything. Boy, will that start a lot of conversations.


**In case you didn't know, I am a student of everything Jane Austen. This includes all the novels, minor & unfinished works, film adaptations & their respective soundtracks. I am an English major who has been fascinated with her writing for many years. I re-read the novels often and in the last few years I've begun devoting my reading to literary criticism of her works as well. I'm a member of JASNA (the Jane Austen Society of North America) as well as its Michigan chapter. Sneer if you wish, but what other author (besides, of course, Shakespeare) is still discussed so much today, almost 200 years after her untimely death?

No comments:

Post a Comment