Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What's Mochi?

Music: Deb Talan, Something Burning**

Today's green smoothie: red chard, 3 teeny tiny Clementines, 1/4 cup frozen raspberries, bit o'avocado, 1 banana















In her book, The Kind Diet, Alicia Silverstone raves about something called mochi. I had never heard of these but they sounded delicious and worth trying. That's one of the best things about being vegan that I never did before: tried new things in my cooking. I used to think I ate a variety of foods in my diet but was I ever wrong!

Along with a salad and some smoky flavored tempeh (from Amazing Meals by LuAnn Bermeo, luann6@msn.com), I prepared some mochi, which are little Japanese rice cakes steamed and pounded into paste, then formed into shapes. The ones I found at Nutri-Foods were sweet brown rice flavored and cut into little rectangles. Traditionally they're eaten as a snack but I made it part of my meal. When they're cooked, they puff up. You can saute, grill or bake them; I sauteed them at medium heat with a lid on the pan and, when I lifted the lid, they had puffed up nice and soft. I flavored them with a little shoyu (raw soy sauce) and sea salt and pepper. It tastes like rice but is very chewy. You have to make sure they cook long enough to puff up or they're a little hard to chew. You could also flavor them sweetly with agave nectar and cinnamon and enjoy for breakfast. After all, it is a grain.

**Deb Talan is half of the folk duo The Weepies. But before she met her husband, she was a fairly successful solo artist. Her voice is so unique, deep but tiny sounding. It's unexpected but I love it. And the fact that she writes all her own material impresses me even more.

1 comment:

  1. Here's why Alicia Silverstone turned vegan! Check out this informative and inspiring video.
    http://veganvideo.org/

    ReplyDelete