Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lentil Stew

Music: Henry Mancini on my iPod

Today's smoothie: parsley, banana, frozen cherries, 2 clementines, bit o'avocado
















This has to be one of the best stew recipes I've ever tried. So easy, so delicious! From Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet:


1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp dried basil

2 tbsp olive oil

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 large onions, cut into chunks

2 celery stalks, diced

1 carrot, sliced

1 potato, cut into chunks

1/4 C shoyu (or soy sauce or Bragg's)

5 C vegetable broth (I used 5 C water plus 2 vegan bouillon cubes)

3 tomatoes, cut into chunks (I used 1/2 can of petite diced)

1 1/2 C brown lentils


Combine spices in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat, then add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, & potato. Stir in half of the spices and the shoyu. Cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or so or until the onions begin to soften.


Add the water, broth (or bouillon cubes), tomatoes, & lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with lid askew for 30 minutes. Add remaining spices and cook 20 minutes longer or until lentils are soft.


I served it over organic brown rice. SO good!

1 comment:

  1. One my my new years resolutions was to cook more, and to make better food for myself. I specifically wanted to try to learn recipes with lentils, so I will definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete