Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, January 29, 2010

Do You Eat Enough Beans?

Music: Peter, Paul, and Mary The Very Best of Peter, Paul and Mary**

Today's smoothie: frozen peaches, banana, collard greens, avocado






























Sometimes some of the best meals are the old favorites. This is simply black beans, basmati rice, and a side salad. Beans are so easy to make; you don't have to soften them from dried, just buy organic canned, saute some vegetables for flavor, add your beans, and warm through. Start your rice before you start the beans and you have a meal in less than 30 minutes. Yum!


Beans are one of the best sources of protein and fiber for vegans. In fact, women especially should make sure to eat 1 cup of beans, peas, or lentils every day; it's great for regulating hormones.


And beans are good for everyone as a source of incredible fiber. Many people claim they can't digest beans; the more you eat the more your body gets used to them. Additionally, if you use canned beans, rinse and drain them well as this will help. Alternatively, if you use dried, drain the soaking water and rinse the beans several times before cooking.


**I grew up listening to Peter, Paul, & Mary on my parents' stereo. They all had such beautiful voices. My brother would sing "Puff, the Magic Dragon" without fear whenever asked. Now it just makes me sad because we don't have the relationship we used to. One of my favorite songs has always been "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," despite its very somber meaning. The most popular version was by The Kingston Trio but this version is just as nice. Rest in peace, Mary Travers (1936-2009).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me how I should be eating. Some day I will be more aggressive in my experimental cooking. I'm working on it... Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this blog entry I cooked up some wonderful locally grown aduki beans that I bought down at Eastern Market in Detroit. They were delicious:)!
    About siblings...at this point, my relationship with my sister leaves much to be desired:(.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete