Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dinner on the Table


Today's smoothie: dandelion greens, fresh pineapple, banana, bit o'avocado, 2 Clementines














I made this complete meal from the wonderful cookbook, Vegan Express, by Nava Atlas. If you're new to vegan cooking, this is the must-have book in your kitchen. All of her recipes are fast, easy, fresh, & delicious. I've loved every recipe I've made from it.


Cornmeal-Crusted Seitan


1/4 C yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground (I used Bob's Red Mill)

1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour

1 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 1/2 tsp all-purpose spice

1/4 tsp salt

2 8-oz packages seitan stir-fry strips or 1 pound fresh seitan, cut into thin strips (I used West Soy from Nutri-Foods/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's)

1-2 tbsp olive oil, as needed


1. Combine cornmeal and 3/4 C boiling water in a large heat-proof mixing bowl. Let stand for 1 minute, then stir. Add the flour, nutritional yeast, seasoning, & salt, and whisk together.


2. Add the seitan to the bowl and stir to coat evenly.


3. Heat the oil in wide nonstick skillet. Arrange the seitan in a single layer or work in batches. Saute over medium-high heat on all sides until the cornmeal turns golden brown. Keep heated in the oven in a pan at 150-170 degrees until all are cooked.


I served it with her suggested side dish, Curried Cashew Couscous. Couscous is not only fun to say (as my brother-in-law Shaun likes to say) but it needs to be cooked in a dish since it's quite dull all by itself. I often throw it in salads to bulk things up. I use 100% whole wheat couscous I buy from Trader Joe's.


Finally, I steamed a bunch of dinosaur kale, then sprinkled a little sea salt & pepper on it and the tiniest bit of almond oil.

2 comments:

  1. Do you like ordinary cous or Israeli cous? Where can I get Dinosaur Kale? That sounds much funner to say than Couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both types of couscous. I find dinosaur kale at the Farmers' Market in season or at Whole Foods when it isn't.

    ReplyDelete