Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, December 7, 2009

What I Will Eat This Week

Music: Cake, Comfort Eagle**

Today's smoothie: kale, pineapple, banana, frozen strawberries, avocado



We're still getting produce from the Royal Oak Farmers' Market, though this was probably the last Saturday for most vendors. That's potatoes, onions, cranberries, carrots, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, Chinese cabbage, mixed greens, lettuce, and two kinds of cauliflower! The amazing thing is that we will eat all of this in one week between the two of us. Before I went vegan, I never ate so many vegetables. My mom would be proud.


Jim made a wonderful dish last Friday night. Unfortunately I was not home at the time of this culinary experiment, leaving all picture-taking to Jim. He does not always take good pictures so I have none to show you. But I'll share his recipe.


Jim's Curried Vegetable Delight

1 yam, diced
1 onion, diced
2-3 large carrots, chopped
3 celery hearts, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp curry
1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp cinnamon
1/4-3/4 tsp cayenne (adjust to your spicy level)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 vegan bouillon cube
1/2 C lentils
1 tbsp olive oil
1 C rice (wild or brown)
2 1/2 C water
1/4 C raisins dried cranberries or currants

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in large pan. Add all other vegetables and continue to saute 2 minutes more. Add lentils and rice stirring well. Add water, bouillon, & spices and stir well. Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 50 minutes or until rice is cooked. Add raisins or dried cranberries or currants just before serving.


**I first discovered Cake at the Royal Oak Public Library, while music browsing. The cover of this album looked sorta retro to me, so it appealed to my love of most things old. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the music as much as the cover art, so I shared it with Jim. It's described as a mix of indie, folk, & pop. I find it very catchy and funny. I've introduced several groups to Jim that he has come to play over and over again on his iPod, including Muse and Rooney. Another reason to like Cake is that they're very ecologically interested in the environment. In fact, they're last recording was made in a studio that was run by solar power! Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment