Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Veg Nog

Music: Todd Rundgren, Anthology**

Today's smoothie: Swiss chard, last of the fresh pineapple, banana, bit o'avocado



















Here's something for everyone to enjoy during the holidays!

I have never liked egg nog, but Jim does and he was determined to come up with a tasty vegan version. He has found it because even I like it!


2 C MimicCreme Cream Substitute (make sure it's the Sweetened one, which is thicker)

2 C hazelnut milk (we use Pacific brand, & buy it at Nutri-Foods)

1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)

1/4 C agave nectar

2 tbsp pure maple syrup (we use Trader Joe's grade B for baking)

Blend all in a blender until smooth. Add more spices to taste. Serve chilled. Makes approximately 1 quart.


We enjoyed it with a delicious (and wonderfully-smelling) Cara Cara orange (a gift from my one of my co-workers) and the last of the Sugar Plums.


















**I discovered Todd Rundgren only a few years ago when I saw the movies Almost Famous and The Virgin Suicides, both of which feature his songs. Jim, of course, had heard of him and I picked this up from the library one day. He's very original to say the least and I really enjoy his music. This past summer, I got a real treat when I got to hear him perform live at the Comerica City Fest downtown. It was a fabulous show! He's had so many hits, though, that he didn't have time for "Hello, It's Me," "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference," or "A Dream Goes on Forever" (all of my absolute favorites).

1 comment: