Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year!

Music: Olivia Newton-John on my iPod**

Today's smoothie: organic curly parsley, 1 banana, bit o'avocado, 1 large mandarin orange, chunks of organic fresh pineapple.




















What are your New Year's Resolutions, if any?


It has been one year this week since I started this blog, and I'm still really enjoying it, enough to continue. Many people have told me they enjoy reading it (thank you!) and that it's well written and easy to understand (thank you, again!). The longer I am vegan, the more convinced I am that I'm doing the right thing, not only for my body & my health, but also for the environment and for the animals.


As each new year approaches, I always try to think of ways I can do things even better. In 2010, I hope to drastically reduce what I throw away, hence the handkerchiefs (in place of tissue) and rags (in place of paper towel). I'd like to find a replacement for cotton balls but, until I do (I can't seem to find the right fabric alternative), I will purchase organic cotton balls. I plan to replace using plastic bags to throw away used cat litter but don't quite have a solution yet. Any tips would be appreciated.


For gift-giving I hope to make things (or bake things) or purchase them from people who are creative, such as Etsy.


Health-wise, I'd like to incorporate a lot more raw food into my daily lifestyle. I've got some good recipes to try and what I have tried, I have really enjoyed.


One thing I've already started (but would like to increase), is reading books about healthy living, with a focus on how food affects the body. Right now, I'm reading a book that Jim purchased, The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. On my to-read health list are also books by Dr. Neal Barnard (who has studied the effects of food on health) and raw food books (both lifestyle as well as cookbooks).


I'm also looking to the future & hoping to find a way to live without a mortgage. Jim & I are exploring the condo lifestyle right now, asking questions, researching, etc. It would be wonderful to not have a mortgage anymore (or even have it be the cost of a low car payment!), to live more ecologically, and to live more simply. We're always up for suggestions for that.


In short, I plan to continue what I've been doing, just doing it better and finding newer ways to live the simple life I want to live.


**When I was eleven years old in 1979, Olivia Newton-John was hugely popular, and I loved her. My gym teacher, Mrs. Decker, even played the Grease soundtrack during our gymnastics exercises (which we 5th graders thought was so cool!). I thought she was beautiful, sweet, & very talented. I've come more to admire her over the years as she has aged gracefully and continues to be very much a lady.


3 comments:

  1. Maria, check out condo assoc rules very carefully. My mother has a "green space" at her condo that you cannot walk on, sit on, play on, etc. My 2 yr old grandson was kicking a ball recently and the "block captain" came out and yelled at us. And it is not a senior residence, all ages live there. Your profile picture on fb...you cannot put a blanket on the lawn...it's considered sunbathing and/or picnic-ing and against the rules! Very annoying.
    Enjoy your blog.

    Carol Woodard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria,

    I've ordered many great natural skin products from Dress Green which is part of the Etsy group. Many things Lauren sells are vegan.

    Take good care.

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fab resolutions and very inspiring! I'll be joining you in those as always!

    ReplyDelete