Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cranberry Holiday Scones

Music: The Weepies, Say I Am You, Happiness, & Hideway, shuffled on my iPod **

Today's green smoothie: baby spinach, last of both the fresh pineapple & cranberries, banana.





















Jim made a batch of this deliciousness as a host gift when we visited his brother for dinner last Friday night. It’s the same recipe for the Raspberry Scones from the book, Babycakes. Incidentally, Jim’s brother is studying to be a chef and created an entirely VEGAN meal just for us! I was so touched. It was outstanding!


Jim’s brother (also named James) made stuffed peppers with barley & other chopped vegetables, a mixed salad of leeks, baby spinach, & some other green I can’t remember with a carrot vinaigrette. There was also freshly steamed asparagus and homemade bread rolls still warm (I had 3--gasp!). Dessert was poached pears and he kindly also served the scones. So sweet! I think he definitely has a future as a wonderful vegan chef, if I can convince him to pursue it.




Many of you know I'm participating in a 30-day green smoothie challenge, so I thought I'd post a few shots of some of them before they're blended. That's baby spinach, banana, fresh pineapple (my favorite), and water.











The bottom pic is kale, banana, 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, and some fresh pineapple with water. I drink 1 quart a day; that's four cups. When I tell people, their eyes sort of pop open. I'm just thinking, how many cups of soda pop do you drink every day?


















**This is my favorite folk duo. I can't accurately describe their style, kinda folksy, kinda whimsical, very harmonic, and lots of great lyrics full of love, humor, and their quirky voices make it all come together. Their songs are featured in the movie Sex & the City and Grey's Anatomy but they're not mainstream by a long shot.

1 comment: