Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, November 27, 2009

Who Likes Cauliflower?


Today's green smoothie: spinach, raw cranberries, banana, 2 ice cubes, water

This seems to be an almost forgotten vegetable. Or one that is somehow only eaten on raw veggie platters. I grew up eating raw cauliflower as well. My mom served it that way so that's how I had it. When I've eaten salads with it, it's always raw, too. So I never really cared for it. I found it tasteless & bland. On the retreat weekend, however, it was served steamed with herbs. When I got home, I sought out a recipe in one of my cookbooks. So easy! Sometimes you just need to rediscover another way of cooking something to appreciate it.

This is from Shortut Vegan. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!






















Dilled Cauliflower


1 cauliflower, cut into florets

water to steam

1 small red onion, coarsely chopped

1 tsp dried dill

1 tbsp olive oil

1 small garlic clove, minced

2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste


I placed a colander over a saucepan with water & added the cauliflower, onions, & dill. When tender, I drained the water, threw the cauliflower, onions, & dill in the pan and added the rest of the ingredients, stirring well to combine. This way of preparing it makes it perfect to eat either warm or room temperature in a salad.


**If there is a definitive Christmas album from my Hispanic childhood, it's this one. From the year of its release (1970) on, this album was played over and over in my house. Every single time I hear it, I think of my Cuban grandparents, Antonia & Rafael Almaguer, and Christmas dinners in their basement (the kitchen was way too tiny). There, with family & friends, after dinner, we would dance to Latin music played on the stereo. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment