Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, November 29, 2009

That Teeny Tiny Fine Print

Music: Squirrel Nut Zippers, Christmas Caravan**


Today's green smoothie: parsley, frozen raspberries, banana.


Well, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you MUST read labels! It’s really beginning to annoy me how many animal products are in everything, and I mean everything! I’ve mentioned before that I was taking the occasional ibuprofen caplet to control mild menstrual pain but, when I went out to buy some more, I decided to read the ingredients and I didn’t like what I

found.


Ibuprofen has glycerine, gelatin and magnesium stearate, all of which are animal by- products. Glycerine is made from animal fats, gelatin is made from the boiled skin, tendons, ligaments and/or bones of cows and pigs, and stearates are stearic acid which is taken from the fat of cows, sheep, & euthanized animals from animal shelters.* Yuck! Why, you may ask, are these products used? Because it’s cheaper and it uses all the other parts of the animals that aren’t used for food.


So now I’m using white willow bark, an herb made from the white willow tree. It is an anti-inflammatory (just like ibuprofen is) and works the same way. You can read more about it here.


*How It All Vegan by Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard, cited from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.


**This happy-sounding group is one that I missed seeing several years ago at the Magic Bag Theater in Ferndale, when they toured on their 20th anniversary reunion tour. They would have been great to see live. I love their swing sound, with unexpected additions of banjo and violin thrown in for fun.

1 comment:

  1. It does sometimes feel like there is a vast conspiracy involving the use of animal by-products. Also, btw, I changed the name of my blog: porchbound.blogspot.com. Hope you and Jim had a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete