Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, November 2, 2009

Tempeh Chili

Music: Rin, Inland Sea**


This weekend I’m attending a vegan retreat in South Haven, Michigan, on the west side of the state. Organized by the author of the Vegan-Gal DVD that had a big influence on my decision to go vegan two years ago, this is a weekend devoted to rest, relaxation, cooking programs, yoga, vegan nutritional information, even a massage! I’ll be staying in a bed and breakfast along the shores of Lake Michigan. Despite the colder weather, I’m looking forward to going back to South Haven, where I spent a lovely weekend in August escaping from the Dream Cruise!


I’m going by myself since we have a little elderly cat who needs extra loving care but I think it will be good for me to have a weekend to myself. I’m especially looking forward to meeting Jill Ovnik after communicating via email with her over the past year. She has truly been a great inspiration to me.


The vegan retreats are held several times a year so, if you’re interested, here’s some information. I look forward to sharing my weekend with you and telling you about what I learned.


Yesteday I visited my parents and since I always like to take something to share with them, I made a new chili recipe. This is Tasty Tempeh Chili from La Dolce Vegan:


1 onion, chopped

1 tbsp olive oil

1 C tempeh, cubed (I just used an entire package of Trader Joe's 3-grain tempeh)

1-3 garlic cloves, minced, to taste

1 14-oz can tomato sauce

1 14-oz can tomatoes (or 3 fresh)

1 14-oz can beans (I used black but you could use kidney), rinsed & drained

1/4-1/2 C frozen corn niblets (or 1 can, drained & rinsed), optional

1 tbsp tamari

1 tsp molasses

1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp sea salt

red pepper flakes, optional, to taste

2 C vegetable stock (I used 2 C water to 1 cube bouillon)


After first preparing the tempeh to reduce bitterness, in a large soup pot saute the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the temph & garlic & saute for 2-3 minutes more. Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, corn, tamari, molasses, & spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes. Optionally, serve topped with vegan soy cheese. I don't like the taste or consistency of any of the vegan cheeses, so I always omit it.


Even my meat-eating father ate two bowls of this! Hooray!























**Several years ago, I received a Borders gift card and, since I very rarely buy books anymore (preferring to borrow them from the library as I want to read them), I decided to try out some new music. At the time, Borders had these little listening stations and Rin was one of the selections. They're a Japanese trio of three women and their music is a blend of pop, new age, & traditional Japanese music that I find strangely appealing. I believe they only have one album, but I really enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment