Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Tale of Two Sautes


Today's smoothie: vitamin greens, frozen raspberries, banana, avocado


Spicy Potato (& Onion) Wedges (adapted from Amazing Meals by LuAnn Bermeo luann6@msn.com)


1 lb potatoes (Jim used purple), sliced into thick wedges

1-2 onions, sliced very thickly (really, as many as you want which, for me, is a lot!)

1 tsp dried parsley

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

2 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread (the recipe called for olive oil, but Jim wanted a butter flavor instead--I tell you, he’s always experimenting!)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.


In a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp buttery spread then add spices to combine. Pour this mixture over potatoes & onions in a large bowl, then toss to combine. Place on baking sheet & bake for 10 minutes. Turn the potatoes & onions, then bake for another 10 minutes or until they are browned & crispy-tender. Serve hot.


Here I served them with a tofu sandwich.















Mushroom, Kale, & Onion Saute

Bunch of kale, washed, & stems removed

1 large onion, chopped in very large chunks

4 small portobello mushrooms, washed, stems removed, & sliced into thick wedges


In a skillet with a little olive (or other light) oil, saute kale & onions for a few minutes. Meanwhile, in shallow dish, combine 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke seasoning, 2 tbsp olive oil, & 1 tsp agave nectar. Dip mushrooms into marinade before adding to skillet with onions & kale. Cook on one side of the pan until browned on both sides, then combine with kale & onions. Serve hot.
















Mushroom, kale, & onion saute served with Chicken-Style Tofu Loaf (from LuAnn Bermeo's Amazing Meals; luann6@msn.com)


Leftover Jerusalem Chickpea Sandwich Filling in whole wheat pita with raw onions, arugula, & avocado
















**I saw this movie at the old AMC Hampton theater on Avon Road in Rochester when I was in high school. And while I enjoyed the movie I really liked the soundtrack even more. I especially enjoyed "Season in Hell" (Fire Suite)--it reminds me of "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles-- and "Boardwalk Angel." I bought it on LP vinyl and still have it in my collection, now also on my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment