Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Soup and Slaw

















The other day I made some new soup and slaw recipes, both from Shortcut Vegan. They came out well, but next time I would add another whole can of beans as well as more tomatoes to the soup as it didn't come out as thick as I had hoped. I even used an immersion blender to try to make it thicker as it seemed to want to be that kind of soup.

Caribbean Black Bean Soup


2 1/2 C water

1 14-oz can light coconut milk

1 14-oz can diced tomatoes w/green chilies or 1 can diced tomatoes w/1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & diced (I didn't have either so just used diced tomatoes)

1 15-oz can organic black beans

sea salt to taste

freshly ground pepper to taste

Tabasco sauce, to taste

1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro (or 1 tsp dried if you don’t have fresh)


In a large soup pot, bring water, coconut milk, & tomatoes (w/liquid) to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Add beans and seasonings (except fresh cilantro if using). Cover, turn off heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro. This soup is spicier the next day (as are most soups).


This paired well with the Asian Slaw:


3 tbsp brown rice or seasoned rice vinegar

2 tbsp toasted sesame oil

1 1/2 tbsp tamari

1 head Napa cabbage, shredded

1 C grated or finely chopped carrots

1 C diced onion

1/4 to 1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro

Hot red pepper sauce, like Tabasco, to taste

raw sliced almonds, pomegranate, & sesame sticks were my add-ins upon serving


Make dressing with first three ingredients & set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Use dressing & other toppings just when you’re ready to eat or it will get soggy. It’s also wonderful served with sauteed tofu rolled up in a whole wheat pita for lunch the next day.

















Jim making a green smoothie with our blender. While they taste great, I know they can taste even better because Susan made our samples at the retreat with a Vita-Mix blender. What a difference! So smooth and creamy. I soon will probably burn out this motor...this picture shows about 4 cups, or a quart, which is the goal for each day of our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge.




















**Oddly enough, I discovered Sergio Mendes & Brasil by listening to AM580 (which I've been listening to for at least ten years); they used to play a lot more of their music. I don't recall my parents having an album of theirs. I read that they were discovered by jazz trumpeter Herb Alpert; one reviewer on their first album called them a gentle mix of laughter and sex. I love the combination of their voices and the arrangements of their songs. Very cool, very retro, very sixties.

No comments:

Post a Comment