Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chickpea Sandwich Spread


Today's smoothie: kale, frozen peaches, banana, avocado

I have a co-worker who doesn't read my blog, yet constantly asks me what I have for lunch or dinner. It's kind of funny and defeats the point of my blog (to save myself the time explaining) but there you are. She always seems amazed that I would be able to find something to eat and says, "Oh, that sounds good!"

I made this the night before to enjoy the next day as the recipe, from Shortcut Vegan, promised the filling would taste even better the next day. They were right!


Jersusalem Chickpea Sandwich Filling


1 celery stalk, quartered

1 3/4 C cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz can, drained & rinsed

2 tbsp tahini

2-3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

2 cloves garlic

1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste

few sprigs of parsley

2-3 tbsp water

dash of cayenne pepper


Pulse all in a food processor until you get a coarse thick spread.


I actually combined these instructions with the Lemon-Tahini Sauce recipe (which this recipe requires 5-6 tbsp of). I didn’t feel like making an entire cup (which the sauce recipe makes) just to make this sandwich filling. So I fiddled with it and combined ingredients in both recipes to get what I was after. The result was delicious. Jim said it tasted like tabbouleh.


I served it rolled up in a warmed whole wheat pita with arugula and raw onions for my work lunch.


**I confess!; I like The Carpenters. Unfortunately, the only thing they're remembered for now is the fact that Karen died of heart failure due to complications from anorexia nervosa. What's forgotten is that her voice was absolutely beautiful and clear and that she was an accomplished drummer. Yes, that's right, she played the drums! The Carpenters were a soft, classy presence in the hard rockin' 1970's and were also discovered by Herb Alpert. Again, I only remember hearing the Carpenters on the radio or seeing them on television when I was a child; I don't think my parents had any albums. I think my cousin Suzanne had a 45rpm single of "Bless the Beasts and the Children." But I always enjoyed their music and was very sad to hear of Karen's death when I was thirteen. Her death brought anorexia nervosa to media attention (remember the book The Best Little Girl in the World)? Troy Library owns two albums by them; very cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment