Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Breakfast--My Favorite Meal of the Day
















Today's smoothie: mango, banana, avocado half, vitamin greens

While on my retreat weekend, I decided that I also should be using a variety of grains for my morning muesli. I enjoyed a 5-grain hot cereal and amaranth (cooked in a slow cooker on a timer overnight) as well as a cold Swedish muesli for my retreat breakfasts which got my mind really going on all the possibilities.


I also purchased a two-set cookbook (Amazing Meals--trust me, they ARE amazing!) written by LuAnn Bermeo, one of the chefs for the retreat. LuAnn lives on the west side of the state and her cookbook is filled with hundreds of delicious vegan recipes.


I tried her recipe for Magnificent Morning Muesli over the weekend and it IS magnificent. It uses raw rolled oats chopped up even more in the food processor. I was a little dubious about this thinking it would have to be soaked overnight like my usual muesli. You can soak it if you wish but it's not necessary. It has a wonderful chewy texture that does not have an uncooked taste.


Here’s the recipe as I made it, enough for me to have a few days’ worth:


1/4 C flaked raw coconut, toasted or not

2 tbsp raw pecans

2 tbsp raw walnuts

2 tbsp dried apricots

2 tbsp pitted dates

2 tbsp figs

2 tbsp dried cranberries (you could also use raisins)

2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds

1/8 tsp sea salt

2 C uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats (or combination of other rolled grains--think barley or rye flakes)


In a food processor, combine coconut, pecans, walnuts, apricots, dates, & figs, then pulse until desired texture is obtained. You don’t want a powder. Transfer to large mixing bowl.


In a food processor, combine rolled oats and dried cranberries and pulse until cranberries are chopped. Again, you don’t want an oat powder so watch carefully. Transfer to mixing bowl and add sunflower seeds & sea salt & stir well to combine. Transfer to jar or other airtight container and refrigerate.


Eat as usual cereal with soy or rice milk, soy yogurt, flaxseed meal or fresh fruit.


This is SO much better for you than processed boxed cereal and doesn’t take very long to make. Plus it tastes so good and will last you several days. How’s that for easy and delicious?


I plan to make many more dishes from this cookbook, but if you're interested in purchasing the cookbooks, contact LuAnn via email at luann6@msn.com

**I'm pretty picky when it comes to musicals. My absolute favorite (though I've never seen it live) is The Music Man. I just love the humor, the songs, and the general fun mood it evokes. Whenever I hear the overture or other songs from the show (usually on WRCJ), I get a big smile on my face. And Robert Preston singing "Ya Got Trouble" ALWAYS makes me feel good! After all, what's better than a band?

No comments:

Post a Comment