Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, October 26, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Music: Jim's string quartet, practicing very nicely downstairs!

I've joined a concert band! The South Oakland Concert Band! We meet every Monday evening to rehearse at 7:30pm and I'm having a blast! I'm so glad I did this. I've met some very nice & welcoming people who love to make music, just like I do.

So our first concert was yesterday and we were all asked to bring a dozen cookies (yes, we serve refreshments at our concerts!). I made these delicious chocolate chips cookies (and there were some left over to keep at home!). From Vive Le Vegan!


1 1/4 C spelt flour (my new favorite flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 C unrefined sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 C pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 vegetable oil
1/3 C vegan chocolate chips (I like Trader Joe's brand; they're milk-free & inexpensive)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper & set aside. In a large bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder & baking soda. Add sugar & salt and stir until well mixed. In a separate small bowl, combine the maple syrup, molasses, & vanilla, then stir in the oil until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, along with the chocolate chips, & stir until just well mixed. Do not over-mix. Place spoonfuls of the cookie dough on the baking sheets, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until just golden (don't bake too much longer or they will dry out). Let cool on baking sheet for one minute (again, to prevent drying), then transfer to cooling racks.

This is the best vegan chocolate chip recipe I've found yet; so it's well-marked in my cookbooks for future reference!

No comments:

Post a Comment