Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Trying Even More Different Vegetables


I've never eaten rutabaga! Well, now I have. So Jim picked up a rutabaga at the Farmers' Market last Saturday and we roasted it in the oven with some onions & carrots.

To roast: wash, peel, & chop the rutabaga into 1/2 inch pieces. Line either a baking sheet or a roasting pan with parchment paper, then add rutabaga & whatever other vegetables you want (squash, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc.). Add a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, & fresh ground pepper. Sometimes I'll even add some fresh lemon juice. Cook at 375 degrees for about 40-50 minutes

Once again, rutabaga is one of those vegetables my mother never bought when I was a child. And I probably wouldn't have eaten it with my history of vegetable-hating. It tastes like a cross between a potato, squash, & sweet potato. Here I enjoyed it with a salad of arugula (which was absolutely gorgeous-looking from the Maple Creek Farm stand), cherry tomatoes, & onions & some leftover Roasted Red Pepper Pesto pasta.














I ended up eating the pasta all by myself over several days since Jim has sworn off regular pasta. It's funny, but ever since we've become vegans, we find ourselves listening more and more to our bodies and how different things affect them.

For me, what I've really noticed is a change in my taste buds. What used to taste good to me just doesn't anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment